Friday, August 26, 2011

An Eloquently Written Rejection Letter Filled With Praise,

So why does it leave me cold? Anyway, here it is:

Subject: Re: Memory Eater Story Submission

Mr. Nadeau,
I'd like to personally thank you for submitting to The Memory Eater. I'm honored that you took the time to create a piece for the anthology, but unfortunately I've decided to pass on it.
The voice of the narrator is well done and fits the eerie setting perfectly. The suspense carried me along, and your writing is exceptional, but the ending seemed to drop off. I was left with more questions than answers. Your story stood out at first, but it hasn't stayed with me like I hoped it would. Regardless, your submission was in a tough field filled with many competitors, so I hope you remain positive about making it further than the majority.
I hope you will consider submitting to any future anthologies.
Please accept my best wishes for success in your writing career.

6 comments:

Molly Potter said...

It's like he absorbed your story fully and pondered hard to feel a response before spitting it out. I'm not sure if that make rejection harder or sweeter.

c nadeau said...

Me neither.

robertswilson said...

I think it's safe to say he had a tough time letting your story go and wanted you to know it.

c nadeau said...

I figured as much. It really sours me on the whole writing to suit thing. Although, I did it for another unannounced antho and it was accepted.

Blaze McRob said...

The writing to suit thing can be difficult. That's why with my press, I leave it open: one topic with many possibilities. I'm all about the story.

Blaze

Who Am I? said...

I think this is a good rejection. Good points added, and just why the submission was not to the editor's liking. It gives you a chance to decide if you like your ending as is and feel it's merited or is there some validity to the criticism that you can use.

2 Migraine-inducingly Moronic Posts

 No commentary, no attempts to rationalize. Just gaze, if you dare, on the stupid!