Friday, March 29, 2013

Nadeau on Stage.

A few months ago, I was virtually approached by my favorite expatriate Rick Barry, whose acquaintance I originally made around 2005 on this very blogger website, with an interesting request. He asked me if I knew of anyone who'd written any short one or two act plays they were interested in having produced. I told him not only did I know someone, but that person looked just like me.

"Well, as long as he looks like you, I'd love to take a look," Rick replied.

Since I'd had a science fiction play outlined for years that I'd never been motivated to complete, I knew what I was going to be sending him. You see, Rick performs in a play troupe in Australia, his adopted homeland, and the adventuresome group of thespians was looking to create a night of short plays.

So, I went to work on mine, titled "A Flash of White," centering around seven very different individuals in a grocery store who, following a sudden flash of white light, are rendered momentarily unconscious. When they awake, they find themselves developing bizarre abilities based on their life choices and personalities with no ability to leave the grocery store. It was a story I'd always wanted to write in play form, so it was surprisingly easy to accomplish in the few weeks Rick gave me.

Then, the waiting game. Based on what he'd told me, I figured I wouldn't hear anything in regards to whether or not the play was going into production until possibly December of this year. Writers are a superstitious lot; any writer who tells you otherwise is either in denial or trying to make themselves appear cool. Not wanting to jinx it, I mentioned nothing of this online. Now, I'm, happy to say, I can do the very opposite. Yesterday, I received the following email:

Hey Chris,

My names Sam. I'm mate's with Rick who you sent your script for 'A Flash of White' through to. I enjoyed reading it and I'd like to include it as part of a short play script reading evening I'm hosting on the 8th April on Monday night at The Portable next to St Ambrose Hall (2-4 Dawson Street, Brunswick). If you are available and would like to come along and hear some actors read your script and have a bit of a discussion about it you would be most welcome.

Let me know.

Cheers: Sam B


Needless to say, I was pleased as spiked punch. I was also amused that Sam thought I would be able to attend the performance. I sent the following reply:

 
Hi, Sam!


Thanks so much for accepting the play. Rick mentioned it might not be performed until the end of the year, if at all, so it's wonderful to hear that it's being read so soon. Thanks also for the kind invitation. Sadly, I am stuck living in Middle America, so Oz would be a bit of a hike for me. However, if you're planning to record it, I'd love the chance to watch. Regardless, I am still pleased the play is going forward.

 
Regards,

Chris Nadeau
 
So, there you have it. "A Flash of White" shall be performed live on a stage in Oz. I'm worldwide, beeches!!!
 

No comments:

2 Migraine-inducingly Moronic Posts

 No commentary, no attempts to rationalize. Just gaze, if you dare, on the stupid!