Friday, August 30, 2019

RECOMMENDATIONS- 3 MOVIES, 2 BOOKS

Since I don't have any new publication info to share, I thought I'd use this space to discuss the quality work of others. I am, after all, an admirer of good writing. I also like to recognize it in various formats, my feelings regarding the inherent superiority of the printed medium notwithstanding, one would have to be a fool to not recognize the brilliance often found on film.

So, I'll start with two movies I absolutely loved and one good one that should have been even better:


  • Brightburn- A movie written by filmmaker James Gunn's brothers Brian and Mark, this is the anti-superhero movie I've been waiting for. Basically taking the Superman origin story and turning it on its head, this film reminds us how helpless we would be if a nearly all-powerful alien who looked like us arrived on Earth without heroic impulses. The movie is relatively small, prviding an intimate portrayal of its subject, and the payoff is disturbing and thought-provoking with the promise of more to come.

  • Fast Color- Another stripped-down superhero story, this one deals with a lineage of African-American women (although the main protagonist is bi-racial) who have concealed their amazing powers from the world for centuries. Unfortunately, the world is running out of water and desperation had led a team of government-backed scientists to pursue any means necessary to fix what the human race has broken. This includes a woman named Ruth, portrayed by the distractingly beautiful Gugu Mbatha-Raw. A movie that it once a subtle Apocalyptic tale, a rumination of race and family and love, it is a slow-mover but well worth it. 

  • Batman: Hush- This is the one I can't fully recommend. I'm not sure if I made the mistake of reading the source material first or if having done so was a good move, because the drop-off in quality is significant. Don't get me wrong. The movie is well-made. Warner Bros.' DC movies still have the best voice acting around and director Sam Liu has become quite good at getting consistent performances and suspense in these newer films. However, the treatment of the vastly superior graphic novel is spotty and the new twist simply does not work. One issue some of these newer animated films has is their tendency to take deeper storylines and given them a superficial makeover. Ultimately a good movie but should have been one of the best.

Books:


  • Master and Apprentice- As big a "Star Wars" fan as I am, it's often difficult for me to complete the novels. However, once in a while one comes along I simply cannot put down and this was one of those. Focusing on a pivotal moment between Jedi Master Qui Gon Jinn and Padawan Obi-Wan Kenobi, Claudia Gray spins an interesting tale that is just big enough to warrant not two but three Jedi Knights but small enough to not over-shadow the movies. Definitely worth a read.

  • Becoming Superman: My Journey from Poverty to Hollywood- J. Michael Straczynski has long been one of my writing heroes. "Babylon 5" came along just as I was jumping off the Trekkie train and swiftly became my favorite science fiction series of all time. I have also followed his work in the comics medium and movies as well as his stint with one of "Twilight Zone" reboots. But I never knew what a horrible, abusive, traumatic childhood he'd led. I'm not even finished with this one yet and I'm already recommending it! 

No comments:

2 Migraine-inducingly Moronic Posts

 No commentary, no attempts to rationalize. Just gaze, if you dare, on the stupid!